Sunday, October 12, 2008

All things Family

This has been one of the busiest 2 days of our lives. As everyone knows, we haven't been to visit my family since the end of July. We had 2 1/2 months worth of fun to pack into two days. So buckle your seat belts and hold on. It will be a bumpy ride.

It all started about mid day Friday. Sara Kate wanted to get her ears pierced. Since, apparently, I am all things fru fru, I was elected the one to take her (that and her Mom is chicken). We got to the mall and went straight to the ear piercing place. As my luck would have it, the other lady wouldn't be in for about an hour. Never fear, I thought, we'll just go eat lunch and come back. So that is exactly what we did. As divine intervention would have it, the ear piercing place was right beside "The Great American Cookie Co." There is a God and He is good. (and so are the double doozies) After what seemed like 2 hours, both of the ear piercing personnel where present and accounted for. Let's get this show on the road. Sara Kate had been so patient and I was afraid she was going to change her mind. I have video of this monumental occasion, so I am going to let it speak for itself.


The abrupt end to the video was do to the waterworks that I detected were eminent. She had absolutely no desire to gaze upon herself right after they were done. She wanted to, and I quote, "go home right now". After a few minutes, I talked her into picking out another pair of ear rings and I finally got her to look in the mirror. She was very pleased with what she saw. However, she still has NO desire to watch this video herself.

I would also be amiss if I didn't mention how patient and compassionate Bryce was during this whole excursion. He was the picture of a great Big Brother. He didn't even complain that every store he went in was dripping with pink and sparkly things. We did however, manage to find some kind of Poke Mon thing that didn't have pink on it and we snatched it up and bought it before they realized it was in the wrong store.

After all of that drama, we came to Granda's. Their first activity was getting fit on the WII fit, while I recharged my battery. Not long after that the kids talked G-Daddy into a "Golf Cart Ride" Let's just go ahead and get this out in the open. G-Daddy is getting to be a big softy in his retirement years. I came out to see what they were doing, and G-Daddy was sitting on the steps of the Deck and the children were driving the Golf Cart. To this they replied. We are getting our Golf Cart License. Well, I don't know how thorough the instructor could have been sitting on the side lines, but I will say Thank Goodness the DMV is a little more hands on with giving out drivers license to the public. Anyway, they are all officially "Golf Cart Licensed" ( a piece of card board with their official given name and birth date, and they are filed away in the "glove compartment" of the golf cart in case they are pulled over by a deer on duty some day.

After the golf cart ride, came the great pumpkin painting extravaganza. Not much to say that you can't predict about painting a pumpkin other than, enjoy the pictures.
By this time we (the adults) are give out. So its off to be with everyone.

The morning started with the sound of a rocket launching (which we also did the night before ((not kidding)) Seriously, we really launched a rocket. Not kidding, Where does the whole rocket launching thing come into play this morning you ask. Let me tell you. When we are all here, G-Daddy HAS to make his famous waffles. He bought a high dollar waffle maker because this one literally sounds like a rocket breaking the sound barrier as it lands from Mars. Not only is it a wonderful waffle maker it is also handy in the alarm clock department for those who need a little extra help waking up in the morning. However, he has been known to make waffles out on the deck as to not wake any the children before Granda has her coffee. This is strictly for the safety of the children. But I digress...... G-Daddy made his waffles and Uncle Brad his perfect fried eggs on toast with sausage and gravy. Yummy!

Now, the photo shoot. We always try to have Aunt Shana take pictures while we are here. I may be fru fru in the appearance dept. but Shana is all about the picture taking. Seriously, we walked all over these 28 acres to find the perfect spot for Maci and Bayley's photo op.

Upon returning from the photo shoot, we ate lunch and started straight away on decorating cupcakes. Each child was suppose to have 6 cup cakes to decorate with various types of candy. Aunt Shana stole a couple of somebodies and decorated them herself. They all turned out beautiful. After cleaning up the kitchen from that we enjoyed sitting a spell on the front porch. Although that could have happened before, I'm not exactly sure.

After supper, we cleaned up the kitchen again and went outside to the bon fire. There we sang old camp songs and roasted marsh mellows for smores. YUM YUM. Aunt Shana stressed the whole time that someone would fall in the fire. But no one did. We all enjoyed our sweet treat and laughed at each others shenanigans.

Then on to the hay ride. You will see in the video the masks that Sara Kate and Shana had to wear. If I'm not mistaken, Shana referred to the whole thing as an allergy infested bed of Hell. Enough said.

We ended the night by sitting around the bon fire again and playing a silly little game that made us laugh. I have to say, I am so thankful for a family that enjoys being together. And goes out of their way to make the time that we do spend together soooo special. Thank you Granda, G-Daddy, Uncle Brad, Uncle Scott, and Aunt Shana. I love you!!!



P.S. Granda has passed out beside me and is muttering something about, "this was the big one Elizabeth"


P.S.S. Oh and Maci rode a motorcycle. That was nerve racking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog, it looked like yall had a great time. Tell SaraKate that Joseph said that he was so proud that she didn't scream her head off and tell Bryce that Joseph said that he was sorry that he was the only LITTLE boy.....

Maddie said...

Fun times!! I can't imagine Shana being nervous around the fire...surely you have her mistaken for someone else.

Anonymous said...

This entire blog just warmed my heart, I really wish my family acted like yours!! You all really know what matters! I love yall, Tell SaraKate that i am proud of her pretty ears! and by the way You have made me want to roast wiennies and sit by the fire watching yall with all that fun.

Love San-San**

Anonymous said...

Just came out of my comma, it was all a blur, we were trying to pack everything in two days and I thinks you lost me somewhere between painting the pumpkins and decorating the cupcakes. i vaguely remember something about bouncing around in a trailer and smelling something like mole mixed with hay. All in all I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm so thankful God allowed me to live to enjoy my grandkids.

Thanks kids for making an old lady very happy---regardless that you just about killed me in the process--it was worth it.

Love Granda