Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yea Me!!!!!!

I don't know if I have shared this little tid bit of information, but I have been taking a course at the college during the winter quarter. I am required by the new health regulations to be certified in a culinary class called ServSafe. It is something the anyone that is in management in a kitchen has to take. Whether it be a school nutrition dept. or a restaurant.
I wasn't looking forward to it because it was going to take my Monday nights away from me. I was also a little intimidated because the School Nutrition Director, (my big boss) was the instructor. No pressure there. Anyway, I buckled me seat belt and prepared myself for the long ride. I will say that as the quarter progressed, I did find the information to be very beneficial.
As most of my friends and family know, I am a bit neurotic about food poisoning or anything like that. I was bad before, but after Sara Kate's episode, my neurosis hit an all time high. Let me just tell you, this class did nothing to make it any better. If anything, it made me never want to eat out again. I can't look at a baked potato without thinking about Botulism, or enjoy my alfalfa sprouts on my salad anymore, for fear of consuming some kind of foreign bacteria. We won't even talk about the fish toxins.
Anyway, every week we had a test. I did well on each test each week so I was fairly confident that my pea brain was actually absorbing some of this stuff, or at least I haven't contracted Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning. (I'm just saying.) The only thing about this is She told us that we could pass or do well in her class but still not pass the Certified test. This test is what the Restaurant Assoc. uses. It kind of made me think about the good ole SAT test. You know the kind that you had to bubble everything in, even your name and address.
To make a long story short, if we don't pass the test with at least a 75% we have to take the course over again. I did not want to go through that again. So, the day came and I took the test. I have been waiting on the results for the test for about a week. Well, I found out the results Monday.

Drum roll please ........ I made a 95!!!!!!!!!

Again, this may not be exciting to you, but I felt I had to share. If for no other reason than it will explain why when I go out to eat and they bring my food out to our table I whip out my trusty thermometer and verify that the food has in fact been cooked to the proper bacteria killing temperature. Thank you for sharing in my victory over this course and remember to keep your food out of the temperature danger zone. (41 degrees to 135 degrees in case you were curious.)

Mom you are, however, NOT off the hook.

Shelley

3 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

Holy Crap......You go girl. No, it's not that I'm surprised because, you're a pretty sharp tack....but still a high A on a big test is worth celebrating even if you are a sharp tack.

So, is the class over. Can you now reclaim your Monday nights?? Oh, whatever will you do with them.

PS- Maci said you were going home to get in the bed......you just couldn't resist the blogs could you? It's a disease.....now get me a post with pictures.

Maybe I've contracted amnesic shellfish poisoning, but I thought you were going to post some pictures. I'm just sayin'

Shana

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I am proud of you and I am so glad to have a friend/boss that is ServSafe Smart and thanks to you I now have my own little trusty thermometer and don't let me forget LUNCH LADIES ROCK......

Love ya,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

ok, so i didn't comment on this one but i did read it... and i am commenting on it now. way to go shelley! whohoo.
angel<><