Tuesday, January 29, 2008

80's Flashback

Last week was one more of a week. It started with an extra day off work and school, and ended up with me flat on my back with strep. I have never, to my recollection, ever had strep. I am now a card carrying member of the unspeakable pain that it causes. I knew it always knocked my kids for a loop when they got it, but holy cow, that stuff is not for the faint hearted. I am glad that that little experience is behind my.
As if that weren't enough, I got better just in time to have to take Manasseh to the Vet because he was doing something weird with his mouth. I figured I would take him and they would tell me that I had infected him with my Hunky Funk and it was turning into lock jaw which would in turn cause him to have to have surgery. Thank goodness it was only one of his baby teeth that had broken and needed to be pulled. You will be happy to know that he is also on antibiotics and is recovering nicely.
Now for the reason for this blog. Saturday the girls where invited to a birthday party at a skating rink here in Macon. I didn't even know these places still existed. I mean I haven't been to one in over 20 years. The girls, however had gone to another birthday party about this time last year and they were very excited. With a little trepidation, I went. Once we finally made it to our destination, the girls piled out of the van and took off toward the door. My trepidation being mostly on the part that this place had been here since the beginning of time and I am more than certain that it has not been sanitized near as much as it should be. (Oh my goodness I can't believe I let my children go in there much less were skates that someone else wore.)
Well, we went up and exchanged their shoes for skates with someone that couldn't be bothered with getting off her cell phone long enough to ask us what size shoe they wore. (I guess the cell phone is what brings this place into the 21st century). The lights were dim (I'm sure to hide all the germs and bacteria on every surface) and the music started playing.
Instantly, I was back in the early 80's when my youth group would take a field trip to the skating rink. I watched my girls skating to "Lean on Me" and countless other songs that took me back to the days of big hair and "Gag me with a spoon" t-shirts. If I had had pair of socks with me, I might have even risked an unknown foot fungus to be a part of the scene.
I am happy to say that when they turned on the disco ball and off the lights and declared this time couples skating. Both my girls decided to take a break and sit with their Mother. I don't think their decision was based on the threat of "restriction" if they didn't.
Well, you'll be glad to know that I am no longer stuck in the 80's. I have come to my senses and declare that before we go back, the girls will have a round of antibiotics to wort off any unseen bacteria, and we will all be sporting our own personal pair of skates.
I had pictures, but they didn't turn out well. You'll just have to rely on your imagination.
See you on the skating rink.


Shelley

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Did those skates have a wad of gum stuck to the bottom? If they did they where probably the same ones I wore when I took you skating. If I had known you were going, you know how your Dad keeps things, we probably have a pair that attach to your own shoes, that way you don't have to worry about foot fungus of the unknown kind. Next time you go take a camera and you get on the skate----now that I would pay to see, after all you are the original Grace Edwards

Keep the blogs coming after all that is the only way I can keep up with my babies.

Granda

Your word is lice fu I think that Chinese

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelly, its Cale. Mom gave me your blog address and I have to say that I remember those trips to the good ol' Roller Disco. I had my own Star Wars skates Killer I know. Well it was good to read what you are up to and here is my email address so give me a shout crowdercale@hotmail.com.

Talk to you latter.

Anonymous said...

hi mrs shelly, you forgot to mention that maci said the woods were cleaner than those bathrooms.
at least you were on medication (for strep), think of those poor unprotected children of yours. hope you had some airborne left over! love ya, angel
... hope maci is feeling better. :)(nikki said she was sick sunday)

Anonymous said...

this one too! and it was my party u were insulting. hum!
angel