Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life is a Beach!!!

I couldn't do it. I couldn't wait until I got home to blog about my vacation. We have been having a wonderful time. We have been shopping, swimming, kayaking, boogie boarding, and let us not forget, jellyfish bitten.

We left Sunday after church and drove in the pouring rain. We are talking major down pours here. The kind that you have to turn the hazard lights on in order to let people know you are on the road. By the time we arrived (8:30 or 9:00) it was threatening to hit us again. It started raining the minute we got all of our luggage in the condo. Thank you God.

Monday it was still very cloudy and somewhat cool (if it can be cool in Florida). The ocean was very rough and we (I) chose to wait until the conditions were more favourable. In fact, apparently the word was out that the Whitton's had arrived and all of the marine life was here to welcome us. The jelly fish especially. Bayley (of course) was stung by lunch time. So needless to say, she has been very cautious when it comes to the ocean.

Tuesday the sun was out and the ocean was a little more calm, the jellyfish were are little less but the sea weed was horrible. We are talking, major sea weed. Not just the kind that is in a clump we are talking about that and the kind that looks like someone blew their nose in the ocean. Nikki and I tried to walk out into the ocean but proved to be more that I could handle. The thought of that slimy stuff touching me and getting stuck all in my crevasses was more than I could handle. Not to mention that I am more than certain that it would not be very attractive in my hair. You know how I am about my hair (and how Shana isn't about hers or Sara Kate's)

Today however, the sea weed was a little better in some spots and the jellyfish were a little more sparse. I went out and sat on the beach and enjoyed rubbing my feet in the sand. The heat finally got to me and I decided to venture into the water. We took off with total reckless abandon. It was the 3rd day of our vacation and I was not going to be hampered by some stinking sea weed. After swimming for a while, We decided to go out in the kayak. I am proud to say that I was allowed to man my own kayak. Paul was in the "stunt" kayak, and I was in the blue one. Nikki and Ed followed close behind in their kayak. We rowed out until you couldn't hear anything or anyone. We say very quietly and watched for cool fish to swim under us. Then it happened......
I looked over and saw a fin sticking up out of the water coming toward us. (I'm just kidding, but I had you going didn't I. ha ha p.s. Lord that is not a challenge.) Seriously, we saw several jellyfish that were very very very long. We also saw a school of fish swimming around. I looked down and saw a Manna War. You know those things that look like sting rays. I had a little passenger (Joseph) with me. I showed them to him and he calmly but very sincerely said. "Mrs. Shelley, lets go back." I had no problem with that. So we headed back to shore.

Well, although it is not the end of our vacation, it is however, the end of this blog. We miss everyone, and we'll post again later. I am using Paul's new laptop and can't figure out how to do the pictures. He is in the pool and I'll have to get him to show me how.

4 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

First of all, the hair jokes, they just keep 'a coming don't they.

Second of all, how could you scare me like that. I was all ready to kill you for taking your kayaks too far out in the ocean. These things are better left unknown to me. It couldve happened though....I'm just sayin.

Thirdly, so glad you're having a great time. I've thought of you often this week, but had to stop quickly as I was becoming green with envy.

Tell Bayley bug I'm sorry she got stung. And tell everyone I said hey & howdy and to have a good time. Y'all be careful.

Patiently awaiting pictures...

By the way, check out Scott's site (I have a link up on my blog) he has his SKYDIVING video up. Yep, SKYDIVING!!

Love ya'll
Shana

Anonymous said...

Let me just say, I don't know how in the world I managed to birth three totally different children. I kinda think the two older ones are going through mid-life crisis. I have one jumping out of planes and the other one in the middle of the ocean trying to offer herself as shark bait. And one sitting at home on the porch yelling "have you lost your mind?" As Shana would say "whatever."

Glad you are having a great time, tell Bayley if she has any trouble with you guys, call me. It's one thing if you guys want to be shark bait, but quit another when you offer your children up.

Be safe, we miss you
Granda

Brad and Shana said...

By the way, I just couldn't resist the correction.....

It's Man OF War....not manna war......

Manna war would've been what they had when one of the Israelites was gathering too much manna. ha ha

Oh, I am funny.

shana

Anonymous said...

Your family is wonderful! I love reading the comments!! I too would not go that far out in the Gulf! You and Nikki are more woman than me!! Why give the sharks easy targets!!

Suzy